Thursday, June 9, 2011

South American Itinerary



The ticket is booked. It's really happening. You never quite feel like you are actually going until you receive that e-ticket on your email. It's actually quite an adrenaline rush, I would recommend it to all my adrenaline junkies out there. So first let me explain the route. Now this isn't "The Route" but just the route. I am anticipating it changing, but for now lets roll with it shall we? For the record while looking at the picture the green stands for plane flights and red shows bus routes/hitchiking/walking/riding, and the blue is a bus/hovercraft. Ok so I leave on July 11th and a day later will arrive in Santiago, Chile and will have a stopover there for about a week. Why Santiago Chile? Well to snowboard of course!! Not in Santiago but there is a resort about 1-2 hours away from the city that I will be visiting. Maybe I will stop by the beach towns of Vina del Mar and Valaparaiso and some point during the week. Nothing super big planned that week, just a nice week of adjustment to get my travel legs back under me. Then on the 19th I fly into the beloved city of Buenos Aires, my home for the next 4 months. My orientation for school doesn't start until the 25th so I figure I will travel the city for a couple of days before then. I will probably be staying with a host family of some kind, but not exactly sure who. School starts August 1st and goes until November 14th, I think. Then the real fun begins. I have no set plan really I just want to make it up to Iguazu falls somehow-

Soon after I will make my to Bolivia and visit the famous salt flats there, eat cheap food and wind up in Cochabamba Bolivia sometime in December. Its here that I will be spending 1-2 weeks working with a Christian organization called Hospitals of Hope. "The Bolivian hospital is currently the primary site where Hospitals of Hope
sends volunteers, both medical and non-medical. Hospitals of Hope has sent over 1700 volunteers on short-term missions to Bolivia, who assist the staff in caring for patients, as well as doing construction and community outreach." My hope is to serve in a variety of ministries such as in the hospital, in their community coffee shop, and with there Fire Rescue Squad. I am especially excited to volunteer with their Fire Rescue Squad and use my EMT skills to help in anyway I can. Plus I will be interacting with tons of believers and non-believers from a different culture, how cool is that? Anyways this is my hopeful Christmas destination as well. Here is the website for more info. :)
http://hospitalsofhope.org/bolivia/emergency-response-unit.html

Soooooo then I think I might go to La Paz and wind up in Lake Titicaca,(yes this is a real lake) I still haven't decided where I will spend New Years but it will be epic. For the last tail of my journey I will fly back down to Buenos Aires and then head for the south where I will be going to Patagonia

Yes it is an actual place and yes it is also a clothing company. I have wanted to travel here since I was about 15, so ya to say I am excited to see this place would be an understatement. I will see as much as I can and I will love it. To quote the most overused travel quote of all time(but it is always fitting)
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

"Stay thirsty my friends."
-Dos Equis guy

Question: Where would you go if you had a chance to travel South America? Where have you gone if you have?

1 comment:

  1. OH YEA! Epic man, cant wait to see how it turns out!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete